[EM] Why use more than two grades?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jan 19 18:32:18 PST 2001

Joe, I used to think like you do on this matter, and I like the civil
rights idea and the public appeal idea, but the voter who wants to exert
maximum influence on the results of the election will do better by voting
at the extremes.

It's refreshing that someone would sacrifice this influence to express
himself more accurately, but until a huge majority can be trusted to
take this same attitude, the carefully thought out degrees of approval
will be lost in the din of the masses.

Of course, if it is a matter of honesty and conscience, that is reason
enough to disregard what other voters might do. I voted for Nader for this
reason.  Otherwise, I felt, some day God would ask me why I voted for one
of the evils when there was a perfectly good choice available. For that
matter if God came down in disguise and ran for president, He probably
wouldn't stand much of a chance.

I guess I fear the day of eternal judgment more than I fear what Bush or
Gore could do to me and my family here on planet Earth in the next four
years. You could even factor that into your utility calculations and call
it strategic voting.

It might be practical to have a non-binding poll based on honest approval
levels, just to help everybody know where they stand before the big
election, but even when the pressure to win is off, there might be some
manipulators.

There are many other (mechanical or nonpolitical) contexts where higher
resolution would have obvious value, so let's keep studying it for all of
these reasons and more.

One not so obvious application is to use a high resolution system when
evaluating the performance of a low resolution method during simulation.
Start the simulation with the honest levels of approval of the
hypothetical voters.  From these, figure out how the voters would mark the
more restrictive ballots, taking into account the likely strategies of the
voters. Using only these ballots (without the more expressive information)
try all of the competing methods. When the results are in for the
different methods, see how they stack up to a higher resolution method
based on the honest values.  Repeat the simulations until the competing
methods start to show patterns of strengths and weaknesses.  The higher
resolution method has inside information that the competing methods do not
have, so it stands a chance of being a standard of comparison.

Forest