[EM] Your PAV vs STV example revisited

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jan 19 17:43:50 PST 2001

Craig, I still haven't checked all 56 combinations for the case where the
approval voters approve their top four of the eight candidates, but the
ones I didn't check probably wouldn't beat the ones I did.

The winners are ABF and BDE.  Each of these combinations covers 100% of
the voters with at least one representative (from their top four
preferences), as well as 75% of the voters with two representatives (from
among their top four).

Compare this with AEH which covers only 90% of the voters from among their
top seven choices, and only 45% of the voters with two representatives
from among their top four.

Of the tied PAV winners I would say ABF is better because it covers 95% of
the voters with at least one vote from their top three preferences, and
55% of the voters with two repsentatives from their top three choices.

Compare this with STV winner AEH which covers 90% of the voters from among
their top seven choices, and 20% of the voters with two representatives
from their top three choices.

The ordinary AV winner (based on top 4 preferences) would be BDF, which is
contained in the union of the tied PAV winners ABF and BDE, but has only B
in common with both of them, so PAV does give something different from AV,
yet keeps some candidates with widespread popularity.

I haven't carried out the full Condorcet calculation, but it looks to me
like it could give a three way tie to ABD, which is also contained in
the union of the tied PAV winners, again showing the close association of
the PAV winners with candidates having broad popularity.

Note that B is in both tied PAV winners, the ordinary AV winning circle
(whether based on top three or top four), and is in a tie for the
Condorcet winner (check me on this one), and yet STV threw it out.

If I'm not mistaken, a complaint about existing PR methods is that they
require ad hoc solutions for the inclusion of candidates with broad,
middle of the road support.

Do we have something worth pursuing here?

Forest