[EM] "Higher Resolution Methods"

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Wed Jan 17 15:36:22 PST 2001

My criticisms of Approval go double for Cardinal Ratings.  At least with
Approval, by assisting voters to use optimal strategy, the chance of a
non-majoritarian outcome is significantly decreased, as is the difference in
power between individual votes (as voting power is somewhat standardised).
This important issue is disenfranchisement of voters (typically poorer or
minority voters) who do not have the same access to information or
understanding of strategy as other voters.  Of course, these problems are
further solved by using ordinal rankings, but then again, ordinal rankings
can have other problems, as most of you have pointed out.