[EM] "Higher Resolution Methods"

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jan 17 14:26:04 PST 2001

I believe that "higher resolution methods" have a place, but mostly in
non-political contexts like pattern recognition, where the grading or
judging is done by mechanical sensors or where the graders have no stake
in the outcome.  Ice skating competition judges seem to have set grading
standards, since they routinely give scores within 10% of each other.

Let me summarize again why I favor AV.  Cardinal Ratings (high resolution)
can be considered a refinement of both AV information and Ordinal Ranking
information, so it is more "expressive" than either.  But optimal strategy
voting based on Cardinal Ratings results almost surely in an AV ballot.
This strongly suggests to me that although the AV ballot may not be as
expressive as the others, it carries the most relevant information for the
actual election.

In a mechanical or otherwise non-strategical situation, the Cardinal
Rating would be preferable if available.

Forest