[EM] Voting machines

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 2 21:23:18 PST 2001

Janet wrote:

>Blake,
>You may know your math, but you sure have mixed up facts to arrive at the
>partisan conclusion you wanted!

No, I'd say that a system that gives more voting power to wealthier
areas is what has brought the election to a partisan conclusion.

Additionally I've heard that many Black voters were told untruthfully
that their polling places had changed, or that they were no longer
registered to vote, or were stopped as they approached their polling
place. I'm not saying that is something new here.

Armed guards posted to prevent anyone from looking at the ballots?
That sounds more like Marcos's Phillipines than the U.S.

>I believe most, if not all, elections are
>conducted by Counties, not districts.  Most counties were formed at
>statehood and were related  more closely to geography than population.
>County income from taxes is influenced by the amount of commercial activity
>in that county.  The "richer" counties usually host the largest cities
>which
>tend to vote heavily Democrat.

Janet, it was the poorer voters who tended to be the ones who had
to use the failure-prone punch-card system. If you believe that you
have information to the contrary, then please be more specific
than you are in this message.

Mike Ossipoff