[EM] eliminations methods like IRV

Blake Cretney bcretney at postmark.net
Wed Feb 21 22:30:21 PST 2001

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/harrow/124/criteria.html

> IRV fails the "Reverse Symmetry Criterion", so yes, there apparently
is
> such a pair. But don't believe everything you read... ;-)

Your skepticism is not without cause (I have been known to make
mistakes).  However, IRV does fail Reverse Symmetry.  Consider this
example:

40 BCA
25 CAB
35 ABC

The winner is A.  Now, for the reverse:

40 ACB
25 BAC
35 CBA

The winner is still A.

Actually, this criterion is more often failed than you might think.  I
happen to notice that Ranked Pairs passes it though.

---
Blake Cretney