[EM] Richard's frontrunners example

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Wed Feb 21 14:46:40 PST 2001

> > So you're saying that b is true when it isn't making any prediction
> > about Y. When X is false, b says nothing true about whether Y is
> > true, and says nothing false about whether Y is true. And you claim
> > that b is true when it isn't taking a position about Y.
>
>That's the way "if" is used in mathematics.  I hope that we choose
>mathematical usage over common usage because common usage is not
>well-defined, and tends to be less convenient.

At least in the field of logic, there is some doubt over whether
conditionals (if statements) should actually be treated this way.  The
consensus view, as I understand it, is that it is convenient, but not
necessarily correct, especially if it is applied to an argument or statement
outside pure logic or mathmatics.  eg from the statement 'the box is not
red' we can deduce 'if the box is red then the box is green'.