[EM] Condorcet Ties

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Mon Feb 19 15:00:15 PST 2001

There are any number of ways to break ties.  While the simplest, and in some
ways the most intuitive way to break ties is random, you can get more
complex by adding other election methods.  For instance, conduct a Borda
count, or an IRV runoff.  There are alot to choose from.  I think Borda is
probably a good one.  A simpler method would be to do a plurality count (the
candidate with the most number 1 votes) - this is just as good, fairly easy
to count, and somewhat intuitive - that is, if two candidates are evenly
split between the electorate, which candidate is more voters' favourite?
Some Condorcet methods use a number of different strategies to decide
between candidates.  If they are pairwise tied, give them a Copeland score
(2 points for a head to head victory, 1 for a draw and none for a loss).  If
they're tied because you've used minmax or something and both candidates
largest defeats are equally small, then do a pairwise count between them.
The pairwise count between the candidates should always be the first tie
breaker, if it isn't the cause of the tie.

Basically, if you're satisfied that you have a very good election method,
then tie breakers are much of a muchness.  My suggestion would be - do a
pairwise count first.  If the candidates are still tied, then do a plurality
count (most number of number 1's).