Approval Voting vs Instant Runoff Voting

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Mon Feb 19 12:32:02 PST 2001

>From Merriam-Webster's:
  http://www.britannica.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=majority
Main Entry: ma·jor·i·ty
 Pronunciation: m&-'jor-&-tE, -'jär-
 Function: noun
 Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
 Date: 1552
 1 obsolete : the quality or state of being greater
 2 a : the age at which full civil rights are accorded
   b : the status of one who has attained this age
 3 a : a number greater than half of a total
   b : the excess of a majority over the remainder of the total : MARGIN
   c : the preponderant quantity or share
 4 : the group or political party whose votes preponderate
 5 : the military office, rank, or commission of a major
 - majority adjective

[Bart:] We commonly use definition 3a, but check out 3c above.

Also, the phrase 'majority rule' seems fairly recent.  Interesting that
the authors felt that the term 'usually' was necessary:

 Main Entry: majority rule
 Function: noun
 Date: 1893
 : a political principle providing that a majority usually constituted
by fifty percent plus one of an organized group will have the power to
make decisions binding upon the whole