[EM] Richard's strategy method

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Sun Feb 18 23:28:31 PST 2001

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Richard, suppose you write an example that includes the
> input information that your method uses, and then use your
> method to show how the voter should vote in that example, in
> Approval.

OK, ZI strategy, four-way race. My utilities are A=100, B=70, C=50,
D = 0.

Assume a vote for a candidate increases that candidate's
likelihood of winning by 3%. Since I have no (reliable) outside
information, I must assume this 3% comes equally from the
other three candidates. Thus my vote decreases their chances
by 1% each. Also, I have no reason to believe the 3% increase
doesn't hold for all four candidates.

A is included regardless of the other utilities.

B is included if the incremental utility of a vote for B is positive.
This incremental utility is

    -.01 * 100 + .03 * 70 - .01 * 50 - .01 * 0 = 0.6

so I include B.

The incremental utility for C is

    -.01 * 100 - .01 * 70 + .03 * 50 - .01 * 0 = -0.2

so I don't include C. Given that C failed the test there is no reason
to crunch the numbers for D.

Non-ZI strategy: The information I use has to take the form
"a vote for i affects candidate j's chances of winning incrementally
by some percentage". This gives a matrix. The diagonal of the
matrix should be all positive numbers and the other elements
all negative (it's a monotonic election, after all). For this example
I'll use a 3-candidate race to keep the matrix small. I'll use
percentages here so I can start with whole numbers.

         2   -1    -1
        -1     3    -2
         0     -1    1

A vote for i is represented by the ith row (each row must add up
to zero). The effect of that vote on candidate j can be found in the
jth column. Assume the candidates are numbered in order of
descending utilities, which are 100, 50, and 0.

A vote for the first candidate is a given, of course.

A vote for the second candidate has the following incremental
utility:

    -.01 * 100 + .03 * 50 - .02 * 0 = 0.5

Since this is positive, I will also vote for B.

No need to run the numbers for C since the lowest-utility
candidate should never be voted for.

It's late; I apologize if this contains any arithmetic errors but
I think it illustrates the procedure.

> That example would show how workable your method actually is.
>
> How would you determine the probabilities that you use--or would
> you estimate them directly?

For the ZI case this is simple -- use +1 for the candidate under
consideration, -1/(N-1) for the other N-1 candidates. Only relative
values are important, so any set of numbers that maintains the same
ratio could be used.

The non-ZI case could only be solved for information of a given nature.
Are you using a poll? If so, do you feel comfortable in assuming that
the only source of error in the poll is random statistical sampling?
Are you using historical data that shows members of party X are 5%
more likely to turn out at the polls than party Y? The information can
take
many forms so there is no one-size-fits-all way of calculating the
probability deltas, and it's quite likely you won't be able to account
for all the error sources. So for non-ZI strategy an old-fashioned
neural
network may still be your best bet. It's been pointed out that this
academic analysis is of more theoretical than practical value. Also, as
said previously, in an approval election I would tend to just go with ZI

strategy anyway.

 -- Richard