Mathematical utility expectation maximization in Approval

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Feb 18 13:56:19 PST 2001

It should be pointed out that this entire discussion is more-or-less
academic unless you plan to use the formulae to model strategy in
simulations, based on randomly generated utilities or some such.  This
is because in the real world, utility is determined by the willingness
of a voter to vote for a candidate, and not the other way around.

If you are a voter attempting to assign utilities to candidates for the
purpose of devising a strategy, remember that these assigned 'utilities'
are really just ratings -- surrogates for real utilities.  Thus the
'neural net' approach is probably the more accurate (although
calculations involving ratings might help to get you into the ball
park).

So if, after calculating your intended strategy, you feel an urge to
make a couple of changes, you would probably be right to follow your
intuition.  That is if the election method in use is not
counter-intuitive.

Bart