Mathematical utility expectation maximization in Approval

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Feb 17 11:46:54 PST 2001

Martin Harper wrote:

> Forwarded from Mike Ossipoff at his request.
>
> MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
>

> > I've posted this before, but let me describe mathematical strategy
> > in Approval, for maximizing utility expectation:
> >
> > Strategic value:
> >
> > Ui is the utility of candidate i, as judged by you.
> > Pij is the probability that i & j will be the 2 frontrunners.

Slight correction/clarification:  The precise meaning of Pij is usually
taken to mean the probability, given a tie exists for first place, that
i and j will be involved in that tie.

Thus in the thumbnail description of mathematical Approval strategy,
frontrunners are candidates those with the best chance of being involved
in a tie, not necessarily the best chance of winning.

Example:
- You have candidates A, B, C, D, and E,
- A has an 90% chance of winning,
- B and C each have a 4% chance of winning,
- D and E each have a 1% chance of winning,
then A, B, and C are considered the frontrunners, since they are equally
likely to be involved in a tie for first place (either 2-way or 3-way).