Borda Count

Jurij Toplak jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Tue Feb 6 01:54:59 PST 2001

> Jurij,
>
> >In Slovenia we use Borda system to elect two of our parliament
> >representatives. They are elected in singlemember districts. (Other 88
> >members of parliament are elected using combination of Droop and D'Hondt
> >method).
>
> Could you clarify this for me?  Are there two large districts covering the
> whole of Slovenia (or half of Slovenia each) where reps are elected using
> borda, and then a nation-wide electorate using proportional
representation?

> Or is there some other kind of system?

Parliament is composed of 90 people. 88 of them are "normal reps" elected
under PR over the whole territory of the country. The other two are reps of
Italian and Hungarian minority. They are elected by our citisens, who are
originaly Italians or Hungarians. What is interesting here is, that there
are only 2000 Italians in Slovenia (2,000,000 citizens) and therefore their
representative is representing much less population than other, normal reps
are. It is somehow a violation of "equal voting right principle" (also
called one man-one vote). In addition, members of these minorities vote
twice - for normal representative and for this, minority representative. And
these two reps have all the powers the other reps have (in some countries
minority reps can vote only on minority issues).

Jurij