[EM] Merrill's voting instruction Bart quoted

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 27 14:20:22 PST 2001

Some days ago, Bart quoted the final voting instruction for a
procedure suggested by Merrill. Since that instruction doesn't sound
like Weber's method, I should tell why:

In his book, _Making Multicandidate Elections More Democratic_, Merrill
describes Weber's method. Then he suggests an elaboration of it, in
which, via some algebra, he somewhat reduces the amount of arithmetic
required.

It seems to me that the reduction in arithmetic isn't important,
and is less important than the fact that the added derivation-algebra
makes his elaborated procedure less suitable for telling to people.

That's why I've always only posted the plain Weber method here.

Mike Ossipoff