[EM] Simplified ranking in real elections

Hugo Harth hugo_harth at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 01:08:35 PST 2001

Direct election of local mayors in Flanders (Northern Belgium)

Formerly the mayors were elected by the local councils.
The direct election of the mayors by the population is now being prepared
(due 2006).

If we think about ballots were the candidates are ranked (SSD, Tideman,
...), then we may expect some practical problems.
The theoretical procedure may be too cumbersome, especially for the voter.

The larger cities may have 20 or more candidates, possibly some belonging to
the same party
(so far I am not aware of an interdiction of multiple candidates of the same
party running for the mayor-seat).
Voters will not or only grudgingly rank 20 candidates.

I believe this a simple and reasonable simplification, but I would like to
hear comments or perhaps hear about simulations or other tests.

The simplification thought of is :
On the ballot there will only a restricted number of ranks possible (perhaps
3 ... 5)
and in most cases less than the number of candidates.
People may rank a candidate only once (of course) or not.
Not ranked candidates receive the lowest rank (one lower than the lowest
rank on the ballot).
People may rank several candidates in the same rank (example, think of
people liking a particular party more than another who would rank in the
same way all the candidates of a party).

The Dodgson or vote-matrix is now incremented as follows :
For every pair of candidates, compare their ranks, if they are different,
the cell of the winner-pair in the vote matrix is increased by 2.
If the ranks are the same for candidates i and j, both cells (i,j) and (j,i)
are increased by 1.

Most voting is now by computer (last elections were held in 2000).
Voters use a light-pen and press on bullets on the screen.
Part is still be done by paper-ballots.
These are analyzed either manually or mechanically.
100% computer-voting may be thinkable in 2006.

Your comments on this or other simplifications are welcome.

yours sincerely,

Hugo Harth