[EM] "unavoidable change" not enough?

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Dec 30 16:54:28 PST 2001

I think I have actually seen definitions of monotonicity which already
take this into account.  You only need to specify that the remaining
candidates stay in the same relative order -- no need to mention
"avoidable/unavoidable changes" since such changes are always avoidable.

So maybe something like [starting from Mike's proposal]:

[begin definition]
If, by a particular set of ballots, Smith wins, then modifying some of
the ballots so as to vote Smith higher *without changing the relative
order* in which those ballots vote the other candidates, then, after
that change, Smith shouldn't lose.
[end of definition]

I have never heard of a definition of monotonicity which attempted to
deal with situations where more than one candidate is modified in
relation to the remaining candidates.  I think you would be opening a
can of worms by doing so, & don't know what the value would be.  What
would you call it, *multiple monotonicity* ?

Bart