[EM] Advantages of CR style ballots

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Dec 28 13:27:33 PST 2001

Anthony's account of practical considerations is very interesting.

Based on those practical considerations here's a suggestion on how to
design an unconstrained CR ballot:

Each voter marks a smudge to the right of each candidate's name.  The
smudgier the smudge, the higher the rating. The mechanical smudge reader
automatically calibrates to each ballot by giving the smudgiest smudge on
the ballot a rating of 100 percent, while zeroing out the lightest smudge
(or lack thereof).

Forest