three tier approval

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 21:02:54 PDT 2001

<<I think a good application of some version of three tier approval could be
within Demorep's ACMA or ACLA or other Demorep method that requires the
candidates to pass a yes/no test in order to be a finalist.

The answer to the question, "Do you want this candidate to be a finalist?"
could be "definitely yes", "perhaps", or "definitely not".

In this application two fictitious candidates AOTA (all of the above) and
NOTB (none of the below) could be used to mark the cutoffs/boundaries for
the three tiers.>>
----
D- Most ballots rotate the names of the candidates.

Precinct 1
       "definitely yes"  "perhaps (???)"  "definitely not".

Precinct 2
       "definitely yes"  "perhaps (???)"  "definitely not".

Etc.

An *absolute* YES/NO tolerability test is something like a pregnancy test.
There is NO *perhaps*.

Ranking number votes (1, 2, 3, etc) can add more info.  The *perhaps* type
choices would likely get lower number votes -- 4th, 5th, etc.

I mention again --- not everybody (like those on this list) is a math genius.
A whole lot of folks can barely function regarding reading and following
instructions that are even *somewhat* complex.

If in doubt, then come to my local election precinct on election days and see
some major chaos (lost voters in the wrong precinct, first time voters,
clueless voters, etc.) while folks are waiting to vote.