three tier approval

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 16:20:00 PDT 2001

Mr. Layton wrote-

This idea just popped into my head, which means I haven't thought about it

in much detail.  I'm pretty sure someone has already come up with this.

Anyway, voters have three different ways they can vote for candidates -

dissaprove, approve and strongly approve.  Then, conduct a pairwise count,

where for a pairwise comparison on each ballot;

If both A and B are strongly approved, they each get 1 point

If A is ranked over B, A gets 1 point and B gets 0 points

If both A and B are approved, they each get 1/2 point

If both A and B are dissaproved, they get 0 points
----
D- As usual I note that *absolute* ratings go from plus 100 percent to minus
100 percent.

An extreme example-

       Absolute ratings

V = Voters

 V        A      B

51     +1    -100

49  -100   +100

100

Is A elected (despite any *low* utility) ???

Add a third choice with various voter ratings of

C > A > B
A > C > B
A > B > C

and the reverse