[EM] Fixing IRV

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Wed Aug 8 20:40:41 PDT 2001

So in effect, if for a non-elimination method we can always
find one candidate who can be eliminated without affecting
the rankings of the other candidates, then we can construct
an elimination method that is equivalent to the
non-elimination method. But that is not really an
elimination method in the sense of the theorem I was
referring to. I did find the reference I was looking for,
in Lorrie Cranor's dissertation (

Monotonicity

             A voting system is monotonic if when a voter
raises the valuation for a winning al-
ternative it remains a winning alternative, and when a voter
lowers the valuation for a los-
ing alternative it remains a losing alternative. All voting
systems that eliminate alternatives
prior to selecting a winner violate monotonicity [86].