[EM] Maximum Consent

Blake Cretney bcretney at postmark.net
Mon Aug 6 18:18:15 PDT 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:26:25 -0700 (PDT)
Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:

> An ordinary Approval ballot has important relevant information that
cannot
> be deduced from a preference ballot.
>
> Although a preference ballot may have a greater quantity of
information,
> the Approval ballot has the most relevant information for consent of
the
> governed: i.e. which candidates could the voter willingly give
consent to.

I'm not even sure that that it is a meaningful statement.

It makes sense to say that I consent to be governed by A, if the
alternative is B.  That is, I prefer A to B.  But then I might consent
to B if the alternative is C.  You seem to suggest that it is
meaningful to say that I consent to A, independent of my other
options.

---
Blake Cretney