[EM] number of ways to vote a ranked ballot.

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 09:35:08 PDT 2001

Ok, if there are n candidats then there are n! ways to vote a fully
ranked ballot, and {int(e x n!)} ways to vote a truncated ballot, or
{int((e-1) x (n!) - 1)} ways if you count votes like A>B>C(>D) as
equivalent to A>B>C>D. All this I've found out by reading around
websites and such.

However, I can't seem to find anywhere which says how many ways there
are to vote a ranked ballot which allows draws in arbitrary places, and
I can't see any way to work it out. Any maths/stats people here know
what the answer is, or where I might find out?

Thanks,
Martin