[EM] Re: The None of the Above Chorus:

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 11:51:16 PDT 2001

Mr. Simmons wrote-

A more recent example: even a dud like Gore would have received more than
50% approval in the last election. Do we want to lower our standards below
that level?
---
D- Whether Mr. Gore (or Mr. Bush) could/would get a majority if a reform
method was being used is more than a little debateable.

Such lowering of standards *is* the existing use of Plurality --- in the
U.K., the U.S.A. and Canada, among other places.

Having an *equal* nominating petition for general election ballot access
(i.e. abolishing primaries) goes along with election reform methods.

Many low class- jerk - business/as/usual candidates will not run if they
would have to pass a YES/NO test or undergo ranking (especially for executive
offices).