[EM] Five Slots and Cranor

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Apr 25 20:42:55 PDT 2001

The second after I hit "Return" I knew I shouldn't have suggested just
going with the computer's strategies.

But I think I'm getting close to a simple explanation and simple algorithm
that accomplishes the same thing as Cranor's method without all of the
iterations and messy probability (based on perfect CR information),
something that the average voter could understand with a little effort.

In any case, if Cranor's method were used in public elections, there
should be a little check box on the ballot that asks if you want your
ballot Cranor optimized or not.  If you check yes, then your ballot is
supplemented with the Cranor optimized ballot. The original is used for
expression, while the optimized is used for instrumentality. Otherwise
(with the option declined), the original serves both purposes.

I like the distinction (and associated terminology) of expression and
instrumentality, and the recognition that both may contribute to the
voter's true optimum strategy in ways that Cranor's method (presumably
optimizing expected instrumental utility) may not handle to the
satisfaction of the voter.

In other words, it may just as impossible to aggregate the aesthetic
"utility of expression" with the utilitarian (pragmatic) "utility of
instrumentality" as it is to add apples to PC's.

Joe has done us a great service by suggesting some valuable conventions of
terminology. It appears that every science has to start with taxonomy.
Only when we have a clear and logical way of communicating what we mean
can we hope to progress beyond discussions that boil down to arguments
over terminology.

Forest

P.S. See a few inserted comments below.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Joe Weinstein wrote:

> Forest et al,
>
> In any EM-ointment there's always a gadfly. This time it's me.
>
> (Note to NEWER list members.  For your reference in following these
> comments, below in a special Background section you will find a basic
> taxonomy and terminology for 1-winner election methods.  This material is
> admittedly slanted to some of my own preferences and suggestions.)
>

> PROLOGUE #1.  EXPRESSIVITY.
> I have argued in earlier postings that there is a simple rock-bottom reason
> why even problematic methods such as IRV appeal to many reform advocates
> over Approval: namely, these methods use higher res, and therefore allow
> greater expressivity.  For instance, with any method using res>1, a Green
> voter could mark the ballot so as to express Nader>Gore>Bush.

This is exactly the conclusion that I have come to. Expressivity is the
number one concern of IRV supporters. And Expressivity without "spoilage"
is a close second. They know that IRV beats Approval in expressivity, and
they believe that IRV beats Approval in spoilage avoidance. They can live
with non-monotonicity and the other defects of IRV if they are not offered
a method which is truly and obviously superior in these first two
categories.

> Such
> expressivity is feasible with current computer technology, and would be very
> useful for encouraging participation and satisfaction in large-scale public
> elections - even though Approval (res=1) will usually do nicely for
> small-scale or collegial elections.
>
> PROLOGUE #2.  STRATEGY.
> There are two major obvious reasons to bother voting: (1) expression - to
> express one's preferences, so as to 'send a message' to politicians so as to
> affect future politics; and (2)instrumentality - to have an effect on the
> direct outcome, the choice of winner.
>
> Many discussions - here in EM-list postings as elsewhere - presume wrongly
> that voters care only about instrumentality and therefore that optimal voter
> 'strategy' concerns only instrumentality and not also effective expression.

Note, however, that Mike has recently expressed his opinion that some kind
of CR has the best hope of beating IRV, based on similar reasoning.