[EM] Cranor's method (was unranked IRV, cumulative, etc.)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Apr 24 18:21:54 PDT 2001

Suppose that one block of voters has access to all of the voter utilities,
and they also own a Cranor Strategizer.

Hoping to gain some advantage, they run the program (based on their own
sincere utilities along with those of the other voters) until it spits out
a recommendation for whom they should approve in the election.

Then just for fun, then run the program again, only this time as input
they use everyone's sincere utilities except their own. In place of their
own sincere utilities they input the distorted utilities (zeroes and ones)
that were the final output for their faction in the previous run of
Cranor's program.

This time Cranor's program spits out the exact same recommendations as
before, because it is just giving advice on how to optimise strategy;
because our friends' strategy is already optimum, they won't get advice on
how to improve it (if I understood you correctly).

Our friends are disappointed; they were hoping that if they input their
optimum strategy at the beginning (in place of their utilities) they would
gain some advantage over the poor blokes that couldn't afford a Cranor
Strategizer.

If I understand correctly, this tactic will neither help nor hinder our
friends. It will not hinder our friends because the method is monotonic.
It will not help our friends, because you cannot fool the system by
putting in insincere utilities.

Another thing.  It seems to me that if Cranor advised me to approve AB
but the election went to E (skipping over C and D), I would be pretty
upset, especially if it turned out that everyone voted precisely as
advised by Cranor.

Therefore I assume that once Cranor figures out that E is going to win,
she is going to advise me approve down to E.  Whether I am advised to
approve E itself or not would depend on whether my (faction's ?) failure
to support E would result in someone I considered below E winning.

Suppose that E is destined to win (if everyone votes their optimum
strategy) and that everyone who is advised to vote down to and including E
follows that advice, but that the other folks rebel and refuse to vote
down to just above E. Then E would still have to win, because no other
candidate increases in approval.

Forest