[EM] The None of the Above Chorus:

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Mon Apr 23 21:37:47 PDT 2001

Forest Simmons wrote:

> It seems to me that in Approval there is no need for None of the Above,
> because of the natural quota of 50% approval; if nobody meets the quota,
> then None of the Above wins.

I don't follow.  The 50% figure has no particular meaning in Approval
Voting.  I suppose you could define a variant with a 50% requirement,
but I wouldn't advocate doing so.

On the other hand, since Approval & Condorcet don't share FPP & IRV's
spoiler problems, they should encourage more good candidates to run, so
there should be less of a call for None-of-the-above.  If you can't find
someone worth voting for in an Approval or Condorcet election, it is
unlikely that you will do better under any alternative.

Bart