[EM] A few poll details

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 20:26:16 PDT 2001

Yes, please send it to honky98 at aggies.org.  But don't post it!  (See below.)

> Now that I'm assured that pairwise count methods will be counted,
> the Voting Systems poll will be exactly like the Poll Topics poll,
> and any method can be designated.

Well, not quite.  I can only count using the methods that I included in my
simulations (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/7293).
 In particular, I can't count IRV.  It took me quite a while to count IRV (just
for fun) in the last election because of the tied votes, and that was only
seven ballots!

> I claim that beginning with the end of the balloting period (which
> takes place exactly 2 weeks after the beginning of the balloting
> period), there should be 48 hours in which people may trunacate
> their ballots, but may not otherwise modify them or vote new ones.

I hope Mike won't take it personally when I disagree with him, but I think this
is ridiculous.  Why should we allow truncation but not order-reversal (or for
that matter, ties higher in the ranking) for defense?  Truncation is nothing
but ties at the bottom of the ballot.

In fact, I don't see why ballots should be posted to the list before the vote
is closed.  Please just send ballots to Mike and me.  Between the two of us,
there won't be any cheating, and I doubt anyone will be able to strategize
successfully without seeing the ballots.  (Mike and I should send each other
our votes before we see other votes.)  And when the vote is closed, let's not
allow ballots to be changed.  That might be a fun thing to try for a less
serious election, but let's make this one realistic and as definitive as
possible.  And please do *not* post ballots to the list.  Thanks!

=====
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org
http://www.aggies.org/honky98/