[EM] IRV Psychology

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Apr 20 12:53:16 PDT 2001

Thanks, Tony.

The part about fortunate and unfortunate is true. There is time, but
Greens seem to think that they can cross that bridge when they come to it,
like the guy who painted himself into a corner and didn't worry about it
until was too late.

There is time, but if we get locked into IRV, all that time is wasted.

And thanks for reminding me to separate the symbolic value and the
pragmatic value of voting. This separation helps to clarify what price you
pay when you sacrifice one for the other.

Sometimes I think the biggest obstacle is that most people don't have the
patience for (or even trust) analysis that involves more than two steps of
logic. If the board is set up for checkmate in three moves, they won't
believe the analysis until two of the moves have been made.

Forest