Mixed Condorcet-Plurality

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Tue Apr 10 15:23:58 PDT 2001

This is an example that Condorcet handles reasonably because there are no
cycles. B and C have a united coalition - one of them is guaranteed to win
by any good method.

The question here in judging between using Runoffs or Condorcet is whether
you want A supporter's second rank preference to decide a winner between B
and C. Since B and C have a mutually united coalition we might imagine they
were in the same party and a primary could have chosen between them which
should run against A. Well, I mean this shows why IRV can replace primaries
while Condorcet can not.

My original email said use Condorcet if there is a candidate that beats all
others in pairwise elections and otherwise use plurality among the top set
of mutually pair-defeatable candidates.

Tom