[EM] Unranked IRV versus Approval - divergent winners exist!

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Sun Apr 1 16:32:57 PDT 2001

A few comments...

> And why exactly would this not happen in any other method?

My point is a runoff process works to identify strong candidates and so this
should be a minimum reform over plurality.

Methods like Approval can work too, and more simply perhaps, but it is still
not very helpful in my opinion when there are 3 strong candidates. It is
still a game of chicken. Plurality is chicken of best or worst. Approval is
chicken of best or compromise. Both are offensive in their own ways.

> So advocate Random Ballot. I didn't think the point of elections was to
give
> multiple orgasms to politics enthusiasts....

About random ballots, here's a fun PR system for gamblers. Give every voter
100 points to distribute among all their choices as they like. Then add all
the points and pick a winner randomly in proportional to votes obtained.
This throws majority rule out the window as no candidate is guaranteed
victory without 100% of the vote. I can't think of any insincere voter
strategy under such a system. We might also allow a None-of-the-above
choice, and if this wins, we must hold a new election with new candidates!
Well, if we considered power as a responsibility to be shared, there is
merit here.

> > We can say that better methods exist than runoffs, but I'm not prepared
> > say that runoff really produce bad winners...
>
> But why should we use any method except the best?

Because there IS no best that will be agreed by all. Majority rule is not a
well defined concept with 3 or more choices.

> > It is a power game and king of the hill wins.
>
> Umm - this would be true in all election methods?

Runoffs are the best single-vote election method. Approval and Condorcet are
not single votes - they are N and N*(N-1)/2 elections which must be merged
somehow to pick a winner.

Tom