[EM] Unranked IRV versus Approval - divergent winners exist!

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 1 15:11:12 PDT 2001

Tom Ruen wrote:

> About the instability of elimination among 3 strong candidates, in ranked or
> unranked IRV, I'm still not overly afraid. Small spoilers are the more
> common enemy.

Well, they are at the moment, cause Plurality kills off small spoilers before
they have a chance to grow into large spoilers. Plurality lets third parties
become just powerful enough to result in people being elected when a majority
would prefer their opponent. Is there any reason to suppose that IRV wouldn't do
the same?