[EM] The Golden Rule of Preferences:

I Like Irving donald at mich.com
Thu Apr 5 07:31:15 PDT 2001

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 04/05/01
Greetings List,

I, Donald, wrote:
>      What is wrong here is that Bucklin violates the Golden Rule of
> Preferences, that is, later preferences are not to harm nor help earlier
> preferences.

Martin Harper <mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk> replied:
"And what basis is this golden rule coming from? What makes it golden? What
makes it better than an alternate rule: "earlier preferences are not to
help or harm later preferences". Or, say, criteria such as monotonicity?"

Donald: So, the Golden Rule upsets you, I should think it would, being as
you are a promoter of Approval Voting, a method in which all the lower
preferences will harm earlier preferences.

I recivied the Golden Rule from Stephen last month and have been repeating
it whenever it fits into a discussion.
It's a good rule, you would do well to learn it and abide by it.

Donald Davison,