[EM] Approval Promoters; "Stop Fooling Yourselves"

I Like Irving donald at mich.com
Thu Apr 5 04:32:58 PDT 2001

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 04/05/01

Harper, you wrote: "A ranking of A>B>C>D>E does not equate to an approval
vote which approves all five candidates."

Davison: I know this and you know this, but if and when there is ever an
Approval election, most of the voters will cast their ballots as: A>B>C>D>E
and you Approval promoters will have no qualms about tabulating these
ballots as A=B=C=D=E.  This is the deceit that you are counting on so you
can leverage a candidate with only a few votes into being the winner.

My original point still stands, Approval will give false results, and the
method should only be used in Beauty Contests where the false results can
be regarded as funny and where it dosn't really matter which one wins, they
all look pretty good and any one would be nice to wake up with in the
morning.

Political contests are more serious, we need an honest method, not Approval.

Those of you who are promoting Approval, are either fooling yourselves or
you are trying to fool the public.  Either way, you are wrong, stop it.

Davison,