[EM] 3 questions for Markus

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Sun Sep 24 03:29:09 PDT 2000

Dear Mike,

you wrote (23 Sep 2000):
> Markus wrote (23 Sep 2000):
> > In your website at http://home.pacbell.net/paielli/voting, four
> > of the five criteria that you use to promote Condorcet methods
> > are based on your lesser-of-two-evils concept. You promote
> > the Condorcet methods in such a way that the reader gets the
> > impression that if he doesn't consider your lesser-of-two-evils
> > concept to be important then Condorcet methods are worthless.
>
> Sorry, but it isn't my responsibility to advocate methods using
> criteria that are important to other people, but not to me.

Does that mean e.g. that (since both methods meet monotonicity and
violate your lesser-of-two-evils criteria) you consider plurality
and Tideman(margins) to be equally good?

You wrote (23 Sep 2000):
> Markus wrote (23 Sep 2000):
> > You don't consider this to be a problem because you consider
> > it to be obvious that everybody who values majority rule also
> > values your lesser-of-two-evils concept. But I don't see
> > any reason for your optimism.
> >
> > Actually, to my opinion, the currently discussed Condorcet
> > methods are very good methods compared to the non-Condorcet
> > methods even if the reader doesn't consider your lesser-of-
> > two-evils concept to be important. But he will never know
> > that because you spend four fifths of your time with your
> > lesser-of-two-evils concept.
>
> Then I hope you are out there advocating for the Condorcet
> versions based on criteria that are important to _you_.  I'm
> sorry, but I ask more of a voting system than you do.

Does that mean that if a given reader doesn't consider your
lesser-of-two-evils concept to be important (and doesn't consider
monotonicity to be important resp. already promotes an election
method that meets monotonicity) then you see no reason why he
should like one of those methods that are mentioned in your
website at http://home.pacbell.net/paielli/voting?

Markus Schulze
schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
schulze at math.tu-berlin.de