[EM] Re: Minimizing need for insincerity

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 15:46:31 PDT 2000

Mr. Ingles wrote in part-

It doesn't matter if actual order-reversal under IRV is less frequent
than equal-voting under AV.  When the possibility of needing either
exists in a method, or at least when the frequency is non-negligable,
then you always need to be looking for that situation.  In essence, you
are always voting strategically, even if good strategy requires sincere
ranking the majority of the time.
---
D- I suggest that with 3 or more choices ALL methods have a strategic /
sincere voting problem due to the mere fact of having divided majorities.

Some or all of a minority can always insincerely vote for the lesser of the
perceived evils (among the majority approved choices).

Thus, as usual, I again note that it is actual votes cast that determine what
happens.  Thus, also, the sincere/ insincere problem is irrelevant.

Regarding IRV-
The Hitler-Stalin-Washington example is still around

34 HWS
33 SWH
16 WHS
16 WSH
99

or

49 HWS
48 SWH
 1 WHS
 1 WSH
99

With IRV Washington loses. Hitler beats Stalin 50-49. Let the civil war
begin. May the worse tyrant lose.

With head to head-
Washington beats both Hitler and Stalin head to head.