[EM] 3 questions for Markus

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 19 19:25:20 PDT 2000

Markus said:

>you wrote (18 Sep 2000):
> > When I told you that the defensive strategy carry out your goal
> > of protecting sincere voting, you said that they don't because
> > they're ambiguous (Refer to the last sentence in question
> > number 1, and to yesterday's message from me in which I
> > answered your 2 questions). But in any case, if you don't
> > like my criteria for protecting sincere voting, I have asked
> > you what criteria _you_ like better for that purpose. You
> > haven't answered that either.
>
>Wrong. I have proposed beat-path GMC as an alternative to your
>wordings of the lesser-of-two-evils criteria. Beat-path GMC
>has the same purpose and it has the advantage that it is
>defined on the actually casted votes.

Beatpath GMC says nothing about the degree of insincere voting
that anyone does or doesn't need. Could you explain how
Beatpath GMC is about need for insincere voting, or protecting
sincere voting?

Maybe you mean that compliance with Beatpath GMC implies
compliance with criteria that _are_ about protecting sincere
voting. But then what are those criteria?

For instance, BC doesn't say anything about protecting sincere
voting, but compliance with BC means compliance with SFC, GSFC,
WDSC, & SDSC. That's what makes it possible to say that BC
protects sincere voting. What makes it possible to say that
Beatpath GMC protects sincere voting?

Maybe the fact that compliance with Beatpath GMC implies compliance
with SFC, GSFC, WDSC, & SDSC.

Can you say why you believe that a method that meets Beatpath GMC
protects sincere voting better than a method that meets BC but
doesn't meet Beatpath GMC?

Can you justify Beatpath GMC's claim to protecting sincere voting
without referrence to SFC, GSFC, WDSC or SDSC?

We considered including the criterion BC, but didn't, because
BC doesn't speak directly about sincere or insincere voting.
That's also a reason to not use Beatpath GMC.

Mike Ossipoff