Fwd: [EM] Catchy goes Taxi Driver (watch my slow descent into frustration and brutality, prompted by the madness of another!)

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Sat Sep 9 20:03:51 PDT 2000

Mike ends his piece with a lovely bit criticising the agenda
of "academics" (he doesn't have to go "all academics suck!" to prompt
a response). I quoth-

> But I don't say that Craig's above-quoted attitude is original with
> him. Maybe Craig has just explained why the academics generally
> don't seem interested in the standards that concern actual voters.
>
> But though I may not agree with the priorities or goals of most
> academics, I wouldn't insult them by counting Craig among them.
> I merely mean that he may have copied their style and jargon, and
> verbalized their values more frankly than they usually do, in
> the above quoted statement by Craig.

Craig, also, is a big old "anti-academic." I feel that sometimes people
feel that in order to achieve theoretical greatness they have to go "out
in the wilderness." This is wrong. I recommend that people read at least-

-	Arrow's original monographs on the Arrovian paradox
-	Either of Saari's "Geometry of Voting" books and his recent
	articles
-	Anything they can get their hands on by Steve Brams and other
	Approvalists (usually what I've found has been in collected texts)
-	Samuel Merrill the Numeral's work
-	Good modern texts on game theory (especially those with a focus on
	probablistic Nash equilibrium). I especially recommend Stahl, Saul.
	A gentle introduction to game theory. Providence, R.I. : American
	Mathematical Society, c1999.
-	Basically anything they can get their hands on that relates in the
	slightest to their field of interest.