[EM] typo ("or ratings"). Point Ratings strategy insincere.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 6 19:57:46 PDT 2000

In my definition of sincere voting, I inadvertently left in the
words "or ratings". I'd meant to take those words out, and have
a definition that's only abour pairwise preferences.

I was mistaken to say that, when optimal strategy is used with Point
Ratings, that strategy is sincere by my definition. It isn't, because
the voter is declining to express some preferences as described in
the definition.

That definition works fine for rank methods, and for Plurality &
Approval. With Point Ratings, if you vote your sincere ratings,
that registers as sincere by my definition. If instead, you use
the optimal stratregy of voting as in Approval, that registers as
insincere by that definition. The only way in which my definition
would disagree with the strictest meaning of sincere voting in
Point Ratings is when it calls your vote sincere as long as your
voted ratings are in the same order as your sincere ratings, even
if they aren't really the same. In that case, you're not voting
insincerely enough for that definition to call it insincere.

When yesterday I defined defensive strategy, I wanted to get rid of
any possible ambiguity in the definitions that I'd previously been
using. But, for a definition intended to apply to actual voting, it
was probably unrealistic to use the term "the goal". That should
be changed to "a goal", or "a wish". Or maybe avoid the issue of
intent altogether by saying:

Defensive strategy:

Voting intended to defeat a certain candidate, on the part of members
of a majority who all prefer a certain same other candidate to him.

[end of definition]

That's my definition of defensive strategy now. It's what I mean if
I use that word in the future, and it's how I interpret it if anyone
else uses that word, unless they've stated a different definition,
as Markus has.

I'm not changing my definition of offensive strategy from what it was
yesterday.

My new definition of defensive strategy makes reference to the
people who have the power to defeat a candidate without reversing
preferences.

Mike Ossipoff