nonmonotonicity of the combo method

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 28 23:06:06 PDT 2000

Mr. Ossipoff wrote in part-

I suspect that Tideman(wv) & BeatpathWinner are the most popular
rank-counts on EM.

****

By the way, as I said in a reply to Demorep, I think there's a
question about how truncated rankings should be interpreted. The
voter should be able to indicate whether he means his ranking to
only compare its ranked candidates, or whether he also means to say
that his ranked candidates are better than his unranked candidates.

The question is which of those interpretations should be the default
interpretation. Surely it would be better if the voter didn't have
to actively make that choice. But what should it be taken to mean
if he says nothing about which interpretation he wants? In other words,
which is the natural one that deserves the benefit of the doubt?

-----
D- Examples of Tideman(wv) & BeatpathWinner should be shown please for the
mere mortals on this list who have never heard or either method.
---
An *average* voter has enough brains to vote YES/NO on each choice and to
rank choices.

Unranked choices = NO choices

Ranked choices may be YES or NO choices (with the NO ranked choices being
deemed lesser of evil votes in case all of the voter's YES choices lose).