[EM] Discover Magazine article

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 27 20:57:36 PDT 2000

Markus said:

When we count the ballots by Tideman and Schulze and
then choose that candidate of these 2 winners whose worst pairwise
defeat is smaller then this would violate independence from clones.
When we count the ballots by Tideman and Schulze and then choose
that candidate of these 2 winners who is pairwise prefered by more
voters then this would violate monotonicity.

I reply:

As I said, making that claim is easier than demonstrating its
accuracy.

In any case, as I said, I didn't suggest that combination method,
did I? And so its (claimed) violation of monotonicity is irrelevant.

My point was merely that, using Tideman(wv) usually picks the same
winner that we'd get if we counted the  ballots by Tideman(wv) and
by BeatpathWinner, and then held a 2nd balloting so the people could
choose which of those 2 methods' winners they want. That's why I
say that Tideman(wv) is more democratic than BeatpathWinner, when
those are the 2 methods being considered.

Mike Ossipoff