A 27 character J program to elect winners

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 19 19:39:52 PDT 2000

C- NB. Can Demorep tell me if the "NO" votes in the method he was commenting
on, have a weight of -1, or do they have a weight of zero?. This is
assuming the "YES" votes have a weight of +1.
-----
D---

YES = 1

NO = 0

However, a NO could be minus 1 (with a winner having a net above zero sum)
(with a choice not voted YES or NO being deemed zero) (especially for
candidate elections).

---

D- Can Demorep write the YES/NO method as a J program allowing its
definition to be accessed?.

D- No, thank you.  Simple Approval hardly needs a program to count the YES
votes.

----

# Is this list on preferential voting or not?. Methods that have
# ballot papers showing checkboxes are not preferential voting
# methods. Demorep has commented that methods ought be simple.
# I hope Demorep can send in a proof that methods for US citizens
# need to be simple. I am wondering if Mr Rob Lanphier ought stamp
# out low quality discussions of checkbox methods (Demorep thought
# the Approval Vote was a checkbox method, so that ought be checked).

---
D- The list is about election methods (which or which may not be
preferential).
D knows that Approval Voting is a checkbox method.
----
C- Can Demorep send in proof that the US public is dumb?. If that were
done, then what?. Nothing could be made of it, and surely some
regions are brighter than others. What about Washington's more
expensive suburbs?.

D- See world education test scores of the industrialized nations.

What are the I.Q.'s of Mr. Bush and Mr. Gore ---- the major choices for U.S.
President in 2000 as determined by various presidential primaries (by about
10-15 percent of the U.S. voters who took the time and effort to vote in such
primaries) ???

Mr. Carey may try to live in an older major urban area in the U.S.A. for
about 6 months (just before general elections) and see *modern* urban U.S.
politics in action (in the newspapers and on TV to get an idea about the
political (and nonpolitical) intelligence level of the voters in such areas).

New Zealand is several light years ahead of the U.S.A. since it got MMP
(after a major educational effort for many years).