Craig's question

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 22:04:54 PDT 2000

Mr. Ingles wrote in part-

My view regarding truncation:

Assuming three candidates A, B, and C, where B is always ranked lower
than A, and C's ranking is unspecified,

If a voter raises B's ranking, regardless of whether he/she raises B
above A's ranking:

 1) It is acceptable if this causes B to win (thus causing either A or C
to lose), so long as this possibility is predictable & known to the
voter ahead of time.

 2) It is unacceptable if it causes C to win if C would not have won
otherwise.
---
D- Start with

N1  AB
N2   BA

Add C

N1.1  CAB
N1.2  ACB
N1.3  ABC

N1   subtotal

N2.1  CBA
N2.2  BCA
N2.3  BAC

N2  subtotal

Change conditions and things may change.  Is that any surprise ???

Does Mr. Ingle's voter have some special knowledge of what is in the ballot
box  while the other voters remain ignorant of what is the ballot box (before
the ballots are counted) ???

I bring up my standard pre-election poll (with a possible X percent plus or
minus error)--

26 BA
25 AB
49 C

100

Divided majority.

Will ALL of the C voters at election time ignore the Ossipoff lesser of 2
evils (A and B) ???