Proxy P.R. method- Variable size body

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Wed Oct 11 18:21:20 PDT 2000

Demorep wrote:

>D- >Thus, only proxy p.r. is 100 percent accurate in representing ALL
voters
>>(though a voter may not be represented by his/her early choice(s) (first,
>>second, etc.).
>>
>The first, second, etc. applies to the more complex proxy p.r. methods- not

>to the variable size body posting.

But you agree that preferential proxy pr is not 100 percent accurate in
representing all voters (because of the reasons in my previous post)?

>See general comment at beginning.  Compulsory voting in the U.S.A. would
>probably be deemed to violate the First Amendment (freedom of speech-
freedom
>NOT to use speech in voting).   That is, if you do not vote in the U.S.A,
>then you do not care what sort of government that you get (noting that many

>U.S.A. folks are functionally illiterate so they do not vote-- i.e. do not
>understand ANY government forms- voter registration, ballots, etc.).

Well, that is unfortunate.  Aside from the whole legitimacy argument,
voluntary voting discriminates against; the elderly, the disabled, people
from lower socio-economic backgrounds, people whos first language is not
english, younger people, people who have achieved lower levels of education,
rural voters, blacks, ethnic minorities, single mothers etc. etc.

Jury Duty is compulsory in the US yes?  If so, I don't see any reason that
should be compulsory and voting shouldn't.  They are both important civic
duties, and the view that a jury should be sampled from all sectors of
society in order to produce a fair result is no less applicable to
elections.  It might be important to note that it is only compulsory to go
to a polling booth and put a ballot paper in the relevant box.  Whether or
not you actually write anything on it is up to you.  This will not violate
the 1st amendment.