[EM]

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Oct 8 23:18:49 PDT 2000

I think most negative references on this list were toward the California
LWV study, although there may have been some expressions of pessimism
that the national study might be conducted in a similar fashion.

I am still attempting to participate in the study, so I don't want to
deride it too much yet, but I am becoming disillusioned.  Suffice it to
say that when I joined, I was under the impression that this was to be
an actual study of election systems, and not just a 'step toward Choice
Voting', as you put it.

Incidentally, I was under impression that Choice Voting was a
multi-winner system synonymous with STV.  If so, I don't think there has
been much negative comment on this list about that system.  Most
negative comments on this list have been directed toward single-winner
IRV.  The two have different goals -- STV was designed to provide for
proportional representation, in situations where a certain amount of
'slop' is acceptable regarding the actual popularity of the individual
candidates elected.  When filling a legislature, you don't have all your
eggs in one basket, as you do when electing a chief executive.

I will second Mike Ossipoff's reading recommendation.  The book:

  Making Multicandidate Elections More Democratic
  Samuel Merrill, III
  1988, Princeton University Press

is well written, and gives an excellent overview of voting systems from
an academic viewpoint.  If all you have read up to now have been
advocacy-type materials, it should be quite a change.  There is some
math, but mainly confined to footnotes and appendices.  Also, the book
is quite balanced -- he doesn't burn on IRV the way we do on this list,
for example, although Condorcet advocates might be less than satisfied.
It's out of print, but any public or university library should be able
to find a copy.

Also, I believe Discover Magazine is doing an article or articles on
voting systems in its November issue.  It might be worth watching for.

Regards,
Bart Ingles