Methods of elimination in quota preferential STV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:43:57 PDT 2000

>However, AV is simple (but probably requiring computerized elections due to
>the below possible fractions).

Demorep here probably isn't referring to the single-winner method
known as Approval. But, just to avoid any misunderstanding, I want
to emphasize that Approval votes are counted just like Plurality
votes: Add them up. Approval requires no more computerization than
does Plurality. No new balloting is needed, and no new count software
is needed.

Though I'm not interested in multiwinner elections, I want to add that
the very simple Approval method can be used in multiwinner elections
too: No matter how many candidates are to be elected, let people vote
for as many as they want. Unlike the "Block Vote", where, with 3
city council positions being elected, each voter is only allowed
3 votes.

But, as I said, I'm not interested in multiwinner methods, only
single-winner methods.

Now, no doubt Demorep is talking about something completely different,
and I realize that. I haven't been following the multiwinner
discussion. Of course don't expect me to defend the above multiwinner
use of Approval. It's better than the Block Vote, but I certainly don't
claim that it's as good as the other multiwinner methods being discussed
here.

Mike Ossipoff