[EM] Methods of elimination in quota preferential STV

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Tue Oct 3 22:03:48 PDT 2000

Yep, but I was considering the basis for excluding candidates in the first
place.  If, for a moment, you accept the system of electing by quotas and
distributing surplus votes at fractional values (an assumption I might be
less inclined to make after I've looked more closely at Craig Carey's
arguments), the basis for eliminating candidates when you get to a round of
voting in which there is no candidate with a quota is still something that
doesn't seem very clear.  In fact, once the eliminated candidates'
preferences start affecting the count, the result seems to become
increasingly arbitrary.