CVD wants Alt.V to be fairer but it isn't: misleading website

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 12:40:40 PDT 2000

Demorep continues:

U.S.A. voters are rather simple minded regarding math due to the massively
rotten public schools.

I reply:

Using Condorcet doesn't require any math. Anyone can rank their choices.
---
D- We have gone over this before many times.  Some of the public, media and
politicians with some brains will want to know exactly what is done with the
ranked votes (thus producing some instant math confusion).

The more ABC, etc,  XYZ criteria that are thrown out as being absolutely
critical for an election method, the more the public will get confused and
keep same old rotten plurality.     Many folks are not quite so strategy/
conspiratorial minded as some folks on this list (especially regarding added
or removed votes from the ballot boxes).

The well known KISS principle definitely applies for getting election reforms
in the U.S.A.

Folks elsewhere apparently have more brains (which is why there are more or
less *democratic* p.r. elections in most places outside of the English
political history zone (U.K., U.S.A., Canada, India, etc.) (noting also that
Australia and New Zealand folks broke the plurality thinking barrier with
some major efforts and even the U.K. now has p.r. elections for Scotland and
Wales after long term protests).
---
Regarding Approval, it exists already in many States in issue elections.

If 2 or more conflicting issues are on the ballots and get majorities, then
the issue getting the highest majority is enacted (in many States).
Generally there are only 2 conflicting choices on a given subject on the
ballots.
---
I note again that there are at least 3 things going on in single winner
elections regarding the various choices.

1. Majority or minority *absolute* support/ acceptability (with scale
rankings (such as 0 to 100) to be more accurate- e.g. A 60, B 55, C 30, etc.)

2. A choice does or does not beat each other choice head to head (*relative*
support/ acceptability). (Mr. Condorcet's major claim to fame).

[CVD appears to more than a little brain dead/ clueless about Mr. Condorcet's
discovery.  See below HSW example.]

3. If there is no head to head winner, then place votes mean something (i.e.
accumulated place votes will produce majorities).

Standard circular tie simple example.  A, B and C are acceptable to a
majority of the voters on a simple YES/NO vote.

35 ABC
34 BCA
33 CAB

102

Which choice should win ???

Folks can expand the above to a zillion choices with a bazillion number of
voters to see if anything new or different happens regarding my 3 points.

If it does, then inform this list so we can instantly nominate you for the
Nobel Prize in Election Math.

I note again that the single winner case is the limiting case of choosing M
of N choices (such as 3 of 10) (with a majority YES requirement for executive
and judicial office elections or with a possible Droop Quota YES requirement
for proportional representation legislative body elections).
---
Regarding CVD's pushing of IRV, the standard response should be something
like my now standard Hitler-Stalin-Washington example

34 HWS
33 SWH
16 WHS
16 WSH
99

With IRV Washington loses. Hitler wins. Stalin is not amused.  Let the civil
war begin.  Will CVD survive ???

Head to head Washington wins. Peace continues more or less.

Generally speaking I suggest that if number voting is used in p.r. elections
(with resulting *democratic* legislative bodies), then number voting will
shortly be used in executive and judicial office elections (U.S. President,
State governors, mayors, etc.).    That is, CVD should only be pushing p.r.
at the moment.

My suggestion is the use of IRV for proxy p.r. elections ---

(a) An Elector may vote for legislative body candidates on the ballots (plus
1 write-in vote) by voting “1”, “2” and so forth for his/her first, second
and so forth choices.
(b) N shall be the number of members being elected in a district or at large.
(c) If there are N or less candidates, then they shall be elected.
(d) If there are more than N candidates (or remaining candidates), then the
candidate having the lowest number of votes shall lose.
(e) Each vote for a losing candidate shall transfer to the Elector's next
choice who is a remaining candidate (if any).
(f) The 2 prior steps shall be repeated until N candidates remain who shall
be elected.
(g) A lottery shall be held if tie votes occur in any step.
(h) Each member (or his/her vacancy replacement) shall have a voting power in
the legislative body and its committees, in person or by written proxy, equal
to the number of first choice plus transfer votes that he/she finally
receives.
(i) Example- 5 to be elected
                         VP
C1  21      = 21 +  1  = 22