[EM] Voice in government argument

Blake Cretney bcretney at postmark.net
Tue Oct 31 16:23:15 PST 2000

A general election is currently underway for the Federal government in
Canada.  During these elections, the government often argues outside
Ontario (the largest province) that voters would be wise to elect a
government members for their constituency.  This, it is argued, will
give a stronger "voice in government", and likely increase the
benefits the government gives to that constituency and region.

I consider this something of a corruption, and I wonder to what
extent it is prevalent in other countries, and under other electoral
systems.  Does anyone have any comment on the relation between this
kind of thing and the electoral system?  It seems to be generally
accepted practice in Canada.  How about elsewhere?

---
Blake Cretney