[EM] Tideman & Beatpathwinner, winner comparison

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 25 17:16:16 PDT 2000

Ok, Markus, but what would you say to a suggestion that we
count the ballots by Tideman(wv) and by BeatpathWinner, and then
hold a 2nd balloting so people can vote which of those 2 winners
they prefer? That sounds democratic to me.

Now, instead, we could count the ballots by both methods, but
instead of holding a 2nd balloting, we just determine which method's
winner pairwise-beats the other.

But say, for reasons of simplicity, we aren't permitted to count
the ballots by 2 methods. Then, the best we can do toward the
goals in the previous paragraphs would be to use the count rule that
usually picks someone who pairwise-beats the other count rule's
winner.

As for Copeland, of course Copeland would likely do very well in
winner comparisons. But, as Steve pointed out, the fact that we
have more important criteria doesn't mean that, when those criteria
are met by 2 methods, doesn't mean that we're forbidden to then
consider winner comparisons. None of us advocate Copeland, of course.

If EM ever needs to vote on something, a good system might be to
count the ballots by BeatpathWinner and by Tideman(wv), and choose the
winner that pairwise-beats the other.

Mike Ossipoff