The powers of YES/NO/Approval are unequal

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 22 12:11:03 PDT 2000

Mr. Carey wrote--

So the weight of a paper with 2 crosses would be multiplied by 0.5. A better
solution _could be_ to discard the method or instruct that all the votes had
to be used.
***

What is you[r] objection to calculating a power of a paper and normalising the
power of each person's vote. [?]  STV has no such problem.

---
D-  I presume *paper* (N.Z.) = *ballot* (U.S.A.).

Approval Voting is mainly for executive and judicial office elections.

Currently, many areas in the U.S.A. have 2N nonpartisan primaries and N
general elections.

Example- 3 Judges to be elected.  A voter is limited to voting for up to 3
candidates in the primary election (with the top 6 being nominated).

A voter is limited to voting for up to 3 candidates in the general election
(such that each of the 3 winners supposedly gets a majority vote).

Approval Voting removes the need for any primary election.

I have suggested that each winner for any such offices get a majority
YES/Approval vote of all the voters.  I fail to see how such system can be
deemed anti- democratic.

Mr. Carey can look on the internet for more Approval Voting websites to get
more info.